3 Most common volleyball expressions: translated.

Now I can't tell you what kind of coaches are the best, but I'm saying that personally I've had more than 10 coaches in my life, and sometimes the hardest part of being a player is interpreting the information being fed to you all practice long.

As a coach myself, I find there to be so many meanings to different things I say that I could be encouraging good habits in one player and instilling poor habits in another. Changing the way you encourage your players could really change the way they play the game.

So, I've come up with a list of 3 things that coaches will say over and over again. Different lessons and pieces of advice can be delivered in different ways, but here are just some things that might be shouted at you from the sidelines.


1.) "Move your feet."


Alright you may think you know what this means, but you may be wrong. 

Many players may take this to me that their coach is saying they are not moving fast enough to the ball.

Previously I had a coach at one point that would say this if you didn't take enough steps when you were moving to the ball. She thought there was almost no diving called for in volleyball, and that almost any ball could me taken up right with enough steps. 

See what I mean? There are so many messages that a player could take away from the same saying. Also, If a coach says the same thing over and over again the message loses its meaning. This is why it's important to establish a line of communication with coaches and players. Players should always feel like they can ask questions, even if its after practice.

I use this term with my own players to mean that they are standing flat footed and are not in the correct position to receive a ball.

If you aren't sure what your coach means trust me: Whatever you just did, or are preparing to do: they want it faster.

2.) "Get Low "


Don't get me wrong, I absolutely understand where this is coming from, but I hate this go-to expression.  For years I heard this... while I was supposed to be standing tall in front of the net.

In my personal opinion the term "Ready position" or "Defensive positions, ladies!" works better, simply because not all defensive positions require you to get low. During High School seasons especially, I find this expression to be used too much. Although it should be translated in each position, translate this to your responsibilities.

Coaches, please remember this cannot work for every girl. Your setter is running one way and your middle another, be realistic!

3.) "Shake it off" 

I'm not kidding when I say that there are some volleyball players that take this literally, and will physically shake themselves when they hear this.

Although most commonly used as a way to get players to refocus after they make a mistake in-game; this expression could convey many meanings.

For one it could mean to refocus, and not let the previous mistake change what you do next, but it could also mean your whole team needs to change their momentum or redirect their frustration. Remember, no one is out to get you and only positive meanings should be taken from this expression.


Open communication is key for volleyball, and is everyone's responsibility.

No player should be afraid of coaches, ever. They are there for the players and to help them develop in their volleyball careers. As a recent player turned coach I think I have a unique perspective on the game, but I caution both players and coaches to keep open lines of communication. 





Comments

  1. Lines of communication are key...in all aspects of life!
    -Linds

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts