Volleyball: 8 things I wish I knew when I played




I started playing club volleyball the winter after my 7th grade school season and I played every club season after that.

Club volleyball is one of the best options for girls or guys looking to train in the off season for their school volleyball season. The club season spans from the beginning of winter to the beginning of summer.

Being apart of a great club volleyball program is also a great way to gain exposure to college coaches, to keep your skills improving, and to make some friends from other schools in your area.

I had a half-tuition DII scholarship coming out of high school. During my freshman season, however I tore my ACL and decided I would come home for surgery and continue my volleyball journey as a coach in a local club. The team I am currently coaching has 9 members, and they compete in the 16's age group here in Arizona.

Now, as a Coach, I wish I could tell all of my players everything I ever learned to help them not make the same mistakes I made as a player. I know not all of my girls will love volleyball forever, and I know some of them will be cut from teams and some will quit out of frustration. The only thing a coach can do is be positive, and hope the girls you are seeing on the court a couple of times a week  are learning lessons that they will need later on in their volleyball careers, and in life.

So: here are 8 lessons I want to share as someone who feels like she's been on the court for awhile

  • Practice on your own time. 
    • There are so many things to do at home to make you a better volleyball player. Even if you are just doing footwork in the driveway, or watching professional players on Youtube, there are so many advantages to doing some homework. I really wish I had known this, it may have really have helped make learning new volleyball skills easier, or had given me some extra repetitions that I so desperately needed. 
  • Hustle is just as important as skill.
    • I will admit I was a little heavy in the waist area for most of my volleyball career, but I always ran everywhere. If you have a water break, or if your team is switching drills the hustle is everything: Your coaches will notice how hard you're trying. Sometimes a coach will look at you and another girl and you will earn a starting position because of the work that they see you are putting in. 
  • Height helps, but isn't the be all end all. 
    • I may be a little unqualified to comment on height here. At 6'1 I'm pretty sure half of my appeal to colleges I was contacted by was because of my height. Seriously, though, there are a just as many 'short girl' positions on a court as there are 'tall girl' positions. Height is a starting point. Your skills will determine your value on the court. 
  • Be friendly with everyone.
    • You never know when being friendly or nice to one person could open opportunities to get on a higher-skill team or into a great school. I recommend having a polite conversation with someone, and doing your best to remember names. You never know when knowing so-and-so will help you later on.  
  • There are fewer things more important than your teammates.
    • Volleyball is a loud, team sport. You will end up on the court with almost everyone on your team, regardless of position though, if you have the right skill set (high vertical jump, fast feet, etc.) you will be fine. 
  • Don't be afraid of the older players, or professional players.
    • Honestly, I loved helping out in the summer with the younger girls, and it was one of my favorite things about being apart of my high school volleyball team.
  • Sports are emotional, they are for everybody.
    • Sometimes I remember coming home and crying about my performance or I remember crying out of frustration. I remember the absolute rage that Volleyball can bring and I remember how the adrenaline high from winning can be the best thing in the world. Sports, like hardship will bring out the best and the worst in some people. I wish I knew when I was younger that I'm not the only emotional crazy girl. It's okay to be emotional. 
  • Respect is the same if you win or lose. 
    • After every volleyball match you will touch hands with everyone on the opposing team and you will most likely have to shake hands with a coach. Spitting on your hand, stomping on toes or smacking someone's hand too hard will not make you a better person. I also wish I knew that you can get in trouble for being a jerk. 
Share this with the volleyballers of your life, or the former volleyballers who miss playing as dearly as I do. 

Comments

  1. This is great! I'll be sharing this with my daughter, as well as my son (a soccer player).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you this will help me a lot for my next season

      Delete
  2. Doing the "homework" tip is a great one!
    I wish I'd done waaay more of it when I was younger.
    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a club player and hoping to make it onto the freshman team next year. This really helped me stay confident in my skills and I now know that coaches do notice the little things that you do even though it might not seem like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharing this with my JV team... glad i found it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  5. These are wonderful tips! I'll be sharing this with my daughter, who is playing for the first time this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is great! I will share with my daughter. She actually just made the National team for her club because she spent the summer in the gym doing their Summer Program. The coach actually mentioned her work ethic, hustle and coach-ability were huge factors in her making the cut.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts